- What we do
- Get connected
- Free resources
- Support local NGOs
Find out here about our extensive range of face-to-face and online training courses.
You can narrow your search by:
- Using our filtering tools
- Scanning our global map for the scheduled Open training programme. This may be particularly helpful if location is a key factor.
Click to book on a course
Click to find out about our in-house training
Click to see full information for the course
Getting the basics right: essential skills
FMD FMD Pro 1: The essentials of financial management (5 days)
This course is perfect for NGO staff involved in programme planning, implementation and support. It covers all the skills needed to set up strong finance systems and procedures, create project budgets, keep basic accounts, and prepare and read financial reports. During the course you will learn everything you need to sit the FMD Pro 1 certification examination on the final day
- Practical tools and tips for creating effective project budgets
- Financial concepts and jargon de-mystified
- Confidence to use financial reports for programme management
- Applying policies and procedures to protect staff and assets.
ES1F Maîtriser les fondamentaux de la gestion financière (5 jours)
Cette formation sert principalement à accroître la capacité des ONG locales à assurer la gestion des ressources financières d’une façon contrôlée, responsable et performante. Elle s’adresse aux personnels des petites et moyennes ONG locales qui détiennent une responsabilité dans la comptabilité ou la gestion des ressources financières.
- Conseils pratiques et outils qui vous permettront d’élaborer des budgets de projet efficaces
- La démystification des concepts et du jargon financiers
- Maîtriser l’utilisation des rapports financiers pour mieux gérer les programmes
- Mettre en place des règles et des procédures pour assurer la protection du personnel et des biens de votre ONG
This intensive and fast-paced course equips INGO programme managers with the skills and confidence to strengthen financial management practice in their projects.
- Frameworks and principles for robust financial management practice
- Key skills for building effective project budgets
- Analysis techniques for project budget monitoring reports
- Policies and procedures to ensure appropriate use of project funds.
This course equips INGO field-based project staff with the essential skills and confidence to ensure good financial management practice in their projects.
- Frameworks, tools and procedures that ensure effective use of project funds
- How to create accurate project and donor budgets
- The essentials of project accounting
- Using financial reports to track and manage project performance
The purpose of this course is to build the confidence and budgeting skills of NGO staff responsible for preparing project and organisational budgets.
- Prepare fully-costed project budgets using the activity-based budget technique
- Prepare budgets in donor formats to accompany funding proposals
- Prepare a project cashflow forecast
- Prepare a funding grid to manage multiple-funded programmes
This online course covers the key skills you need to write effective project and donor budgets. During the course you will create a s et of project budgets and come away with practical skills that can use immediately in your own work.
- How to prepare accurate, complete and justified budgets using the activity-based budgeting technique
- Top tips on preparing budgets for donors
- How to prepare and use budgets for managing cashflow and monitoring progress
- Techniques for budgeting for central support (‘core’) costs
This online course introduces the key skills you need to prepare and analyse project budget monitoring and forecast reports, including donor financial reports.
- How to create budget monitoring and forecast reports for internal use and donor reporting
- What to look for on a budget monitoring report to track and manage project performance
- How to analyse and manage budget variances
- How to use a budget monitoring report to detect fraud or abuse.
This online course builds the skills and confidence of project staff to work with financial information in their everyday work. It covers the basics of financial accountability, including the language, systems and processes for tracking financial transactions from purchasing through to financial reporting.
- Accounting concepts and jargon - in plain language
- The essential elements of a good purchasing process
- How to create financial reports to track project transactions
- How to check project financial records for completeness and compliance
Managing strategy, risk and value for money
For NGO managers, this looks at the more strategic aspects of NGO financial management. Discover the tools and knowhow to create a long-term plan for your NGO's financial continuity and security.
- A framework for assessing and measuring financial sustainability
- Situation and stakeholder analysis to identify financial management strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats
- Alternative financing options to become less dependent on external donors
- A template for building your own financing strategy.
ST2e eWorkshop: Planning for financial sustainability (online)
How financially sustainable is your organisation? Would you keep going if key donors stopped funding your work? This online workshop shares the practical tools and know-how to achieve financial sustainability so that you can meet your objectives now and in the future. Discover how to assess your current vulnerabilities, and how to move beyond donor dependency.
- How to assess and measure your financial sustainability status
- Alternative financing options to become less donor-dependent
- How to create a financing strategy for the next three years
- How to assess and manage the everyday financial risks
L’objectif de cette formation est de renforcer la confiance et les compétences des cadres des ONG afin d’améliorer la pérennité financière de leur organisation ou de celle de leurs partenaires. Vous apprendrez comment évaluer et gérer les risques financiers cruciaux, et comment développer une stratégie de financement et les politiques qui en découlent.
- Les ingrédients requis pour assurer la pérennité financière de votre ONG
- L’analyse des risques financiers et l’identification de mesures pour réduire et gérer les risques
- Les options alternatives de financement pour devenir moins dépendants des bailleurs de fonds
- Conseils sur la constitution et la gestion des réserves
This intensive course will equip you with the skills you need to get the most out of your NGO's money, to achieve goals now and in the future. It is ideal for NGO managers, both programmes and finance, who need to quickly get to grips with operational and strategic financial management.
- Essential skills: programme budgeting, project accounting, analysing financial reports and robust internal control
- A financing strategy toolkit: risk assessment and mitigation, income diversification options, building reserves and stakeholder management
- Keeping your donors happy: how to get the most out of grant funding and manage good relations with donors
- Anti-bribery policies and practice.
A thought-provoking yet practical course for NGO managers and policy-makers who are responsible for implementing an anti-bribery policy.
- How corruption and bribery affects NGO operations and the communities they work with
- The legal, organisational and reputational risks associated with paying bribes
- Assessing bribery risk and where to prioritise anti-bribery action
- Practical responses to resist and avoid paying bribes when implementing programmes in the field.
The purpose of this course is to build the confidence and financial skills of governing body members to:
- fulfil their role as guardians of their NGO’s financial resources
- promote accountability and transparency in strategic and operational management
- Getting the basics right - Overview of key financial management systems and procedures.
- Who does what? The roles and responsibilities of board members in financial management and good financial governance.
- Risk assessment and mitigation - Identifying and assessing financial risks, including the challenges of financial sustainability and internal control.
- Accountability and transparency in practice - Monitoring programme performance and meeting stakeholders’ requirements.
This 2-day course builds the skills and confidence of NGO managers and staff to prevent, detect and respond to fraud, making sure funds get to where they are most needed.
- What is fraud is and why do people do it?
- Designing out fraud risk and developing controls
- Ways to detect fraud in case it should occur, including whistle blowing
- Equipping managers to ably handle fraud or alleged fraud, to take actions which are fair and firm.
Working with donors
For NGO staff who are new to managing donor contracts and funds. It covers key principles and good practice through all stages of the grant management process to ensure successful stakeholder relationships and that grants are used correctly.
- Getting organised for the four key phases in the grant management cycle
- Critically assessing donor contracts and adapting systems to ensure compliance
- Tips and tools for managing multiple-donor funded projects
- Confidence to manage relationships with donors, head office and implementing partners.
Cette formation a pour but de renforcer la confiance en soi et les compétences des employés des ONG qui veulent s’initier à la gestion des subventions des bailleurs de fonds institutionnels afin qu’ils puissent respecter les conditions financières imposées par les bailleurs lors de la mise en œuvre des programmes.
- Comment se préparer à gérer les quatre phases clés du cycle de gestion des subventions
- L’évaluation critique des conventions de subvention et l’adaptation des systèmes pour assurer la conformité aux exigences des bailleurs de fonds
- Conseils et outils pour la gestion des projets financés par plusieurs bailleurs de fonds
- Gérer avec plus d’assurance les relations avec les bailleurs de fonds, le siège et les partenaires d’exécution.
Working with partners
This is for staff in NGOs and funding agencies whose role includes assessing potential and existing partner organisations’ financial capacity to manage project funds. It covers analytical skills and tools to identify both the strengths and weaknesses in partners' financial systems and reports.
- How to prepare for the financial review process
- Checklists and frameworks for assessing financial health and risk
- How to interpret prarners’ financial reports
- How to conduct a successful in-person review during a site visit.
WP1e Assessing your partners' financial health eWorkshop (online)
This online course will equip you with the tools and know-how to assess partner organisations financial systems and resources, to help make decisions on funding and other support.
- How to prepare for and conduct desk-based and in-person reviews
- Simple frameworks and checklists for assessing partners' financial systems and practices
- How to analyse partner financial reports
- Fraud risk – what to look for.
A programme officer’s role often involves assessing their partners’ annual financial statements. The formal audited accounts should give insight to an organisation’s activities and purpose but are often incomprehensible pages, full of numbers and accounting jargon.
- Read, analyse and make sense of the annual audited financial statements
- Gain confidence to ask questions about the reports.
Building finance capacity: training for trainers
TT1 Taking the fear out of finance - training for finance trainers (4 days)
An inspirational course for experienced finance staff who train colleagues or local partners on financial tools and concepts. The course shares the secrets of Mango's successful practical and participatory training methodology and will change the way you look at finance training forever.
- Simple course design tools and techniques that you can use immediately to create your own courses
- A toolkit of activities that make learning effective and enjoyable
- Confidence to explain financial concepts and tools using plain language
- Tips for creating great resource materials to support your training.