- Open Training Calendar
- Open Training Courses
- FM1: Practical financial management for NGOs
- FM1Fr Maîtriser les fondamentaux
- FM2: Financial sustainability essentials
- FM2Fr: L’Essentiel de la Pérennité Financière des ONG
- FM3: Financial management for effective programmes
- FM5: Financial management for effective & sustainable programmes
- FM8: Grant management essentials
- FM8Fr: Les Fondamentaux de la Gestion des Subventions
- FM9: Assessing partners' financial management capacity
- TFT1: Taking the fear out of finance: Training for trainers
- ZT0: Zero-tolerance apporach to bribery
- Other Courses
- Practical "Taster" Sessions
- Make a booking
- Course fees & discounts
- Bursary scheme
- Booking terms & conditions
- In-house training
- Group Training
- Training Partnerships
- We've been Mango'd!
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Grant management essentials: How to keep your donors happy
"Very interesting and insightful - worth every penny!"
|Course Title:||Grant management essentials: How to keep your donors happy|
|For:||Finance and non-finance staff new to grant management|
|Fee basis:||Non-residential: fee excludes accommodation|
This course aims to build the confidence and skills of NGO staff who are new to managing institutional donor grants, to meet donors’ financial terms & conditions when implementing programmes.
This course is specially designed for NGO staff who are new to grant management. It is suitable for those responsible for managing donor funds where programmes are implemented directly or through operational partners.
The course provides an introduction to the essentials of grant management and is not therefore suitable for experienced grant managers or those looking for detailed guidance on specific donor rules and regulations.
We recommend that you read this course outline carefully to make sure the content is relevant and meets your learning requirements. If you are not sure if this course is for you, please contact us.
The final balance of course content will be decided by those attending the course, according to their interests and training needs.
The course includes:
- Key challenges in grant management
- The grant management life cycle
- Responsibilities and routines in grant management
- The flow of donor funds
- Assessing the terms and conditions in grant agreements
- How grant agreements impact on accounting and procurement systems
- Complying with donor reporting requirements
- Managing multiple-donor funded projects
- Managing key relationships for successful grant management
This course does NOT cover proposal writing, fundraising or specific donor requirements.
Also see the Programme Guide.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
The Mango training approach is highly practical, participatory and often fun!
We focus on real issues and help participants to use the tools covered, rather than just discuss them. We work especially hard to explain and take the mystery out of financial concepts to overcome the fear of finance.
“Mango training really does take the fear out of finance!”
We train in small groups to meet the needs of individual participants and use a variety of learning methods to stimulate interest and meet different learning styles. Participatory techniques include interactive presentations, practical problem-solving activities, case studies and quizzes.
Courses are supported by extensive materials for participants to take away and apply after the course, including a detailed course manual. We also offer a free follow-up service by email or phone to all Mango trainees.
How to Book
All courses can be booked online or by completing a booking form and sending it to the training team. Full terms and conditions are also available on our website, as well as the latest calendar, current availability and course fees.
You are also welcome to telephone us with enquiries on +44 (0)1865 423818.
The course fee covers: tuition, all course materials including a course handbook and workbook; complementary Mango pen, ‘jargon ball’ and calculator; lunch and refreshments during the course; and a course certificate.
The course fee does not include the cost of overnight accommodation or travel to and from the training venue.
|Welcome and Overview||
Overview of Grant Management
Phase 1: Contract Assessment & negotiation
|Phase 2: Implementation||
- Procurement procedures
|Phase 2: Implementation (continued)||
- Cash vs commitment accounting
- Managing multiple donor-funded projects
|Phase 3: Reporting||
|Phase 4: Closing off the grant||
|Summary & Close||